Personality Test Results Fosters a Reflection on Teaching

Image property of the Author

I took the Five Point Personality Test at PsychologistWorld.com and I was a little taken aback from some of the questions, and a little surprised at my results.  I would like to think of myself as a well rounded person.  I know what my strengths are and how to use them, and I am well aware of my weaknesses and how to try to improve upon them.  I've taken these kinds of "tests" before at other places, some of them accurate to my own observations, others not.  This one was not accurate, in my opinion, but at least it got me to reflect on how I work with others and my teaching style.

My first issue with this test is that it seemed to ask the same questions a few different ways.  I basically agreed with one way asked and then disagreed with the other way, because I believe the questions are written in ways to trip the reader up.  "Are you really reading what you're answering?" should be one of the questions - I would be surprised to see how many people actually do read carefully when answering any kind of test or quiz, given how many times I've had to remind my students to read the directions whenever they ask me what to do next.

My second issue was that some of the questions asked me about political leanings... how does something like that reflect my personality?  Truthfully, I would categorize myself as moderately conservative on some issues, moderately liberal on others, overall probably leaning slightly to the right, but just because I have some convictions one way or another shouldn't necessarily mean that it affects my personality rating.  Weird to ask that kind of thing.  And I wonder if the questions are randomized or put in specific order.  One or the other could make one think that there might be a bias involved, and again, what would this have to do with personality?

Result #1: Extroversion = 51%
I outright disagree with this result.  I am a very outgoing person.  I make it a point to introduce myself to people.  I may hold back a little until I've gotten a good read of someone I've just met, but once a conversation starts I have no problem sharing my opinion.  I would personally say this should have been closer to 75%.

Result #2: Openness to Experience = 64%
I would put this a little higher, but not too much.  I am open to trying SOME new things, but I do agree there are things that I just won't outright do, and I am set in my ways about certain things, too.  Should also be closer to 75%.

Result #3: Conscientiousness = 63%
This one should also be much higher.  I consider myself a team player, and if someone needs help I am usually one of the first people to offer it.  I would like to think I consider the consequences of my actions and the needs of others before I act or make a final decision.  I would put this one at 85% or higher.

Result #4: Agreeableness = 80%
This one is probably right on.  I want to make sure everyone's needs are met when working with a team, but I also will speak my mind and stand up for something I believe is right or the best way to go about things.

Result #5: Neuroticism = 39%
Should be much lower.  I'm not neurotic.  10% or lower.  'Nuff sed :)  All kidding aside, I have concerns about some things... but not worries.  That's not a neurosis, that's being human.

Torrey Trust, an Assistant Professor at the University of Massachusetts Amherst as well as a trusted reseacher on Professional Learning Networks, sees PLNs as supporting the growth of educators in 4 ways:  affective, social, cognitive and identity. Those growth aspects are defined in a ThingLink here.  I believe I fall into the "identity" category.  I see myself as the "guide on the side", actively participating in my students' learning by facilitating projects.  Yes, I do have to be the "sage on the stage" periodically to introduce a new tool or concept, but projects are what the students come up with.  I am there to guide and foster growth, and as long as certain guidelines are met, the students' projects will show how they were able to apply understanding of concepts and tools.  What taking these kinds of "personality tests" do, regardless of whether I agree with their results or not, is help me reflect on who I am so I can try to be the best "me" I can be, as well as how I can continue to grow as a teacher and reflect on my teaching style and methods.

Comments

  1. Great post, Scott. These quick, online personality tests aren't the 'be-all-to-end-all' in terms of accuracy but they do achieve something greater than the score; they allow us time to reflect on what we bring to the table, so to speak. I like that you challenged (and changed) the scores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just so happens I had to take 2 more "personality tests" for another class I'm also taking right now. The first qualified me as an "ESTJ", or Extraverted (26%), Sensing (31%), Thinking (5%), and Judging (15%) based on the 16 personality types developed by Katharine Cook Briggs and her daughter, Isabel Briggs Myers based on their research of Carl Jung's work. The results page also had a video explaining the personality ranking, and I have to agree:

      https://my-personality-test.com/personality-type-indicator

      The second rated my leadership ability based on my answers. Categories were basically "excellent", "okay" or "needs improvement". I, of course, got an "excellent"... :)

      https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newLDR_50.htm

      Delete
  2. I had a similar reaction when I took the test. I was a little confused initially because I felt like it was asking me the same questions over and over in a slightly different way. I was also very confused about the political questions. While my political leanings area certainly connected to my ideas, I'm not sure how much that's connected to my personality. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who had these questions while taking the test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when I see anything in any kind of survey that wants to know about my political affiliation, it makes me think there is another agenda, or at least a bias. Politics does not have to factor into everything.

      Delete
  3. Hi Scott,

    I like your honest response. Your wariness or hesitation reminds me of my father. Were it not for him, I probably wouldn't have questioned my teacher or life as much as I have.

    My question is, what have you done in your life to identify your strengths and weaknesses? This is something that both students and adults often struggle with. I think that addressing these kinds of personal skills with students can help them assess themselves and monitor their own growth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have to say that I’m not afraid to fail. Only by failing do we truly know what we need to do to get better. I’m also not aftaid to try new things. You’ll never know if you’re good or bad at something unless you try it first. It’s also easy to say you don’t like something when you’re not good at it, but how many times did you try it until you really decided you didn’t like it? How many times did you try to learn from your failures until you decided enough was enough? Everyone has different thresholds, I guess mine are pretty high. They’ve gotten that way because I don’t give up easily.

      Delete
  4. I agree with your questioning of how the test is made. I think you have to take these with a grain of salt so to speak. Often they're close to our true personality, but it's all in how you interpret it. You definetely can't read too much into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are almost like horoscopes, in that respect. So ambiguous that they could almost apply to anyone. A grain of it might be relevant, but that doesn't necessarily mean its all gospel :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts